It’s pretty cold and les miserable at the moment, you know what that means? SOUP SEASON! Tortilla soup is the perfect spicy, hearty soup to warm your soul this winter!
Growing up in SoCal, I miss the Baja Mexican of my childhood – so this soup is nostalgic and delicious. I tell ya what though, it’s probably not authentic, I mean it’s based on the delicious recipe of a Hawaiian themed restaurant so you know – authentic roots. Tortilla soup is, honestly one of my favourite dishes, it’s unlike any soup I’ve ever tasted. A deliciously hearty soup that you can eat all year round! Of course feel free to make your own stock to ensure extra special shredded chicken and added flavour!
What you need:
3-4 Chicken thighs, fat trimmed
1 birds eye chilli
2 cloves of garlic
2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 teaspoon of cumin powder
1 onion (diced)
1 red capsicum (diced and deseeded)
1 tin tomatoes
1 cups of shredded tortillas
1.5 L chicken stock
1 L water
Let’s do this:
- Marinate the chicken thighs in olive oil, minced garlic, cayenne pepper and the paprika.
- While the chicken is marinating prepare the chop your little heart out and dice the sht out of the capsicum, onion, carrots and chilli.
- Put a table spoon of butter with a drop of oil (to prevent burning) and brown the thighs in the soup pan.
- After turning the thighs, add the onions and leave to saute – mixing occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add the carrots once the onions have softened.
- Add the capsicum, chilli and saute for a few minutes before adding 1.5L of chicken stock.
- Allow the stock to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add one teaspoon of cumin powder, 1 tin of tomatoes, and 1 cup of shredded tortillas
- Adding the water simmer for 30 minutes.
- Option: remove the chicken and give the soup a little joush with a stick blender to mix all the bitses into a thick soup – it’s far more visually appealing.
- Bring back to the simmer and shred chicken in the pot.
- Tortilla soup is nothing without the accessories – fry up some shredded tortilla, daintily place some avo, sneaky bit of cheese, grilled corn and fresh coriander to top!
This serves 4-5 bowls of soup – perfect for a part with some corn chips and guac or quesadilla. This quantity of soup will set you back $17.62 (a bulk of which is the chicken so if you go vego it will be $7 ish) and $3.52 a bowl with some left over tortillas AND stock (I used powder), garlic and spices considered pantry staples. This price is based on the highest price available from the two major supermarket’s online stores as at 16 July 2018. Hot tip – don’t buy canned goods from your major supermarkets – too expeno.