Is there any better time to share a comfort recipe? That question is rhetorical and you can only answer if you are able to tell me what day it is.
Anyway, the other day I posted a story on instagram with my congee – and it went off! In my humble terms one person asking for a recipe is it going off!
Let’s be clear this recipe is for a slow cooker. I stumbled upon this recipe from some weird corner of youtube where a gentleman who appears to be a photographer uploaded the recipe of his congee breakfast in 2013. It has become a life saver when Harry is on nights and I cannot deal with the kitchen anymore and that is because there are 2 key ingredients and literally everything else is a topping.
What you need:
1.5 cups of short-medium grain rice
10 cups of water
Let’s do this:
- Put all the ingredients in a slow cooker
- Place on low for like.. ever I’ve left it for as long as 9 hours
- TOPPINGS TIME!
This makes enough for approximately 8 servings – but never fear – this shit freezes well!
OPTIONS – you can add the following to the rice mixture prior to cooking or after and stir through:
- powdered stock I would do 1 tbs otherwise you get a strong instant noodle vibe
- a dash of soy sauce
- 1 tsp of Chinese five spice
My top 3 toppings are:
- Crunchy Kale
- Rehydrated mushrooms stir-fried in oyster sauce
- Grandma General chilli sauce aka my most favourite chilli sauce in the world.